Sundered Skies over Boston
In the published setting, Shadowhaven is “the bureaucratic center of the Sundered Skies,” a place where the power of the Trade council is felt directly. Michael’s character forced me to rethink the place a bit, though, replacing an oligarchic “trade council” with a Shadow King on the order of Louis XVI.
- The Shadow King dominates trade through his Ruling Council; nobles compete for jobs which provide them with monopoly access or rights of taxation.
- Culture is 17th century French in flavor—lots of frills and cuffs and buttons and spangles.
- Servant class works very hard for little pay.
- Non-nobles treated with real disdain; it’s much harder to social climb here than in Gateway.
- Tax on imports set at “1 in 20” (5%).
- The Underworld is dominated by Fat Tony of Threepenny Lane. Tony is a power unto himself, but his profits are fed by the appetites of the nobles.
Fat Tony of Threepenny Lane
Slim Profits MacGee, orcish bodyguard in Fat Tony’s organization
Slippery Pete, Sam’s childhood friend
Madamme LeFarge, Lotlhmoq’s former landlady